I. A Battle Worth Fighting verses 16-18
A. The Goal verse 161. Walk by the Spirit...B. The Problem verse 17
2. ...so as not to fulfill the lusts of the flesh.1. The flesh and the Spirit are opposed to one anotherC. An Unlikely Incentive verse 18a. Not as in Gnosticism2. Our internal conflict
b. Desires are different1. The one who is spiritual...
2. ...is not under law.
II. The Works Of The Flesh verses 19-21
A. The Laundry ListIII. The Fruit Of The Spirit verses 22-231. AdulteryB. Their Condemnation
3. Uncleanness (state of being)
4. Lewdness (active uncleanness)
8. Contentions (arguing)
10. Outbursts of wrath
11. Selfish ambitions
12. Dissensions (divisions over nothing)
13. Heresies (divisions over doctrine)
A. Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Kindness, Goodness,IV. A Resolution verses 24-25
Faithfulness, Gentleness, Self-Control
B. Their Commendation
A. We Belong To ChristV. A Final Warning verse 26
B. We Are Dead 1 Peter 4:1-6, Romans 8:1-111. Fleshly passionsC. Yet We Live verses 2:19-20
2. Fleshly desires1. Since we live in the Spirit...
2. ...we should walk in the Spirit
A. Against ConceitConclusion: We have died to the law and sin, and now we live by the power of the Spirit, the same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead has raised us from our death, not to live in the flesh, but by the power of the Spirit.
B. Against Contention
C. Against Envy
So live like those who are dead...dead to fleshly passions and lusts, and as those who are alive...alive by the Spirit and created for good works. This is our duty and our delight.