Last night my brother and I drove up to Carson-Newman to hear Dr. Russell Moore preach. I have only listened to a couple of his messages on the internet (I still have dial-up 'cause nobody wants to sell me high-speed, so it takes a while to download audio), but I really enjoyed what I heard.
Once again, last night, Russell Moore was faithful, unapologetic, and more importantly, faithful to the text. He reminded us that creeds are everywhere, and especially in the Christian faith.
His text was taken from Matthew 16:13-18. Peter's confession is the foundational creed for the Church. We believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah, the Savior of the world, and the Son of God. Upon this confession Christ has promised to build His Church. And as we, the Church, remain on this foundation the gates of hell will not prevail against us.
After the message, Steve and I went down front to talk with Dr. Moore. It was here that I learned of at least ten different characteristics, beliefs, and qualities that we hold in common.
1. We both shake with the right hand.
2. We both have names.
3. We are both from the south.
4. We are both good looking fellers.
5. We have both met my brother.
6. We both drove to the meeting.
7. We are both Southern Baptists.
8. We wear shoes.
9. The ESV seems to be our preferred translation.
10. We believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God.