Old Doxoblogy

Sunday, August 06, 2006

This One I Like

Daniel at Doulogos tagged me with this meme. I honestly hate memes on general principle, but this one is about books, so I like it.
1. One book that changed your life (other than the Bible):
The Pleasures of God by John Piper. How can you keep living the same way when you finally realize that God is eternally happy within Himself?
2. One book you've read more than once:
In the Face of God by Michael Horton. A great counter-response to the self-centered worship of modern Christianity.
3. One book you'd want on a Desert Island:
Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem. Theological, devotional, worshipful, and fresh every time you read it.
4. One book that made you laugh:
The Umpire Strikes Back by Ron Luciano. Great baseball humor from one of the great umpire characters of all time. I read this when I was about fourteen and remember laughing my head off through the whole book.
5. One book that made you cry (or feel really sad):
Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners by John Bunyan. Well, the first half of it anyway.
6. One book that you wish had been written:
The Temporal Aspects of the Old Covenant by John Owen. My life would be so much easier right now.
7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Our Faith by Emil Brunner. Neo-orthodox.
8. One Book You're Currently Reading:
The Fathers of the Church, Vol. 95; Fulgentius: Selected Works. Torch-bearer of Augustinianism to the last jot and tittle. Somewhat Catholic, yet strong on grace.
9. One Book you've been meaning to read:
A Confessing Theology for Postmodern Times edited by Michael Horton. Don't have anything to say about it yet.
10. Now tag five people:
No. I'm only going to tag three, and only because I think they might like the meme.
Pastor Steve Weaver (who can do it whenever he gets back from Louisville, KY.), D. J. Cimino, and Jeff Wright.




I'm tired of blogging right now. I'll be back in a couple of days.

8 comments:

Jeremy Weaver said...

I forgot to add Mark Pierson. So Mark, you do it too.

mark pierson said...

Mark Pierson??? Who's that guy?

Foretaste: Me likes Wayne Grudem's "Systematic Theology".

I am looking forward to some suggestions for a good Biblical Theology to read.

I shall come back here often to see suggestions on good books to read for the A-Mill position. My eschatology is under reconstruction. I must consider all angles.

I am thankful that you have helped me, through your postings and comments around blogdom, to get a handle on some New Covenant Theology issues. I am looking closely at that too.

Anonymous said...

I got to say thank you Jeremy for not hitting me with that. I can't think of enough answers. BTW you might be interested in a program I made the details are at my blog.

And yes that was a shameless plug.

D.J. Cimino said...

OK... i've got my list up. Please note that I am a dork and no one should read the fodder that I read.

mark pierson said...

Done! Thanks for the surprise tag

Joe said...

In II Hezekiah we read, "Thou shalt not tire of blogging, for therein thou shalt find an outlet for those things mental and emotional. Yea, verily."

Jeff Wright said...

I'm honored to be tagged...sorry I didn't see it before. I'll still probably respond. :D

Shawn said...

I wanted to by Systematic Theology so bad lately. Our church is going through a theological class and it's recommended reading on each section.

on my wife's latest thing, but we are very tight lately and I have lots of spurgeon books to read so I don't feel right about getting books when I haven't read the others I got 6 months ago and didn't read yet.